La Belle Époque


Between 1880 and 1930, Grandcamp was one of the most famous beaches in France.

At that time, the French had new means of transport for short distances (car, train, tram ...). In the early twentieth century, the village was connected with the French railways, shown in many postcards, the chemin de fer du Calvados.


So the inhabitants of the areas surrounding the capital, crowding Grandcamp. It was during this period that the town known a major economic boom and an increase in population unexpected: the Parisian bourgeoisie and aristocracy.


Today, the city has a legacy of the good period: its villas. There are about ten examples to the coast of Grandcamp (Mathieu Villa, Villa Saint-Nicolas, Manoir, Les Hirondelles ...), one more sumptuous than the other. The charming image of the period is reflected in the town's many attractions.

The hours of the railway St-Laurent-Isigny road Grandcamp,

in January 1900. The trip Isigny-St-Laurent was covered in 1h 25m.


During the war


Before the Second World War, and Grandcamp Maisy are two independent villages: the first is in front of the sea with a local economy that depend on fishing, while the other is facing the inland, based mainly on agriculture. In the spring of 1944, Grandcamp-les-Bains is defended by four support points encoded Wn Wn 79 to 82. The village of Maisy is occupied by the Germans of the 12th Company of the Grenadier Regiment-726 (716 Infantry Division). Maisy is defended by five support points coded Wn 83 Wn 88 Wn except 85 is located in a place called The Douet. Two batteries are located in the southwest of the country, 83 Wn coded ("The Wig") and Wn 84 ("La Martinière"). Are each armed with four 155 mm guns of French origin (F414 served 9 Battery Artillery Regiment-1716) and four guns of 100 mm FH14 / 19 of Czech origin (served 8 ° Battery Artillery Regiment in 1716). Both batteries are surrounded by a single grid of barbed wire and different minefields.

During the liberation of Maisy and of its batteries, the Americans proceed to Géfosse-Fontenay and Isigny-sur-Mer.